I’m Martin, a video game player and collector from the U.K. I thought it would be fun to share some video game facts about me so here are 10 things about That U.K. Gamer as of early 2020:
1) My first console was a Sega Master System II with Alex Kidd in Miracle World build in. I also had Sonic 2 from the beginning. I cannot handglide on that game to save my life.
2) My favourite console of all time is the Nintendo 64. I received my first one for Christmas 1997 with a copy of Diddy Kong Racing (which is better than Mario Kart 64 by the way)
3) The most I have ever spent on a second hand video game is £40 which was for a copy of Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. So worth it.
4) My favourite franchise is Pokemon (Magneton is my favourite Pokemon) but Sonic the Hedgehog is my favourite gaming character. The old, classic Sonic of course.
5) My craziest gaming obsession is my desire to collect all the FIFA games, and I don’t mean one from each season. I’m including the World Cup and UEFA European Championship games, the UEFA Champions League games from the early 21st century and on every possible console and handheld. I now own at least 4 different copies of 2002 World Cup on different systems for example.
6) I met my partner through video games. I bought a Wii U and checked out Miiverse and started talking to a girl on there about Pokemon. Now we’ve been together since 2016. Best decision of my life.
7) I also have a lot of game guides and merchandise as well as games. I have many Pokemon guides (of which I have many) but I conveniently managed to buy a GTA 4 and Fable 2 one for no more than £1 each from second hand shops. Never underestimate the usefulness of a guide.
8) Although Nintendo and Sega are my favourite manufacturers of consoles, the one I have probably played the most is my Xbox 360. As well as being my go to CD/DVD player, I love playing Fable 2, FIFA, Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the original one) on it and the controller is so comfortable. I still wonder why they jumped from Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One though…
9) The Xbox 360 controller is comfortable I find, but my favourite controller is the Gamecube one. It looks cool, feels really good in your hands and provides plenty of buttons to use without straining to reach them. I must be weird though as I love using the Nintendo 64 controller though…
10) At the minute I have 2 holy grails I want for my game collection – an Amiga 500 (thanks mum for selling my old one 😒) and the limited edition Manchester United Game Boy. Just like hoping that United are the top English team again, all I can do for now is wish…